Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cooking my way through...Recipe #2

I've committed to cooking my way through a few of the gazillion cookbooks I own.  I started with the
Cooking Light fresh food fast weeknight meals 2010.

I decided to make the same meal on thats on the cover Asiago-Crusted Pork Chops and Broccoli with Sour Cream Sauce.  Lookwise it looks JUST like the pic, if I do say so myself!!!



Asiago-Crusted Pork Chops
Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 9 minutes
  • YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop)
  • COOK TIME:9 Minutes
  • PREP TIME:5 Minutes
  • COURSE: Main Dishes

Ingredients

  • 4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Asiago cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 lemon wedges
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

Preparation

1. Place pork between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to an even thickness (about 1/4 inch) using a meat mallet or a small heavy skillet.
2. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Combine panko, cheese, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Dip pork in egg white; dredge in panko mixture, pressing gently with fingers to coat.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pork; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Squeeze 1 lemon wedge over each pork chop; sprinkle each evenly with thyme.

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
  • Calories: 253
  • Calories from fat: 44%
  • Fat: 12g
  • Saturated fat: 4.1g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
  • Protein: 27.4g
  • Carbohydrate: 6.2g
  • Fiber: 0.6g
  • Cholesterol: 71mg
  • Iron: 0.7mg
  • Sodium: 297mg


Broccoli with Sour Cream Sauce
    • YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup broccoli and about 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
    • COOK TIME:6 Minutes
    • PREP TIME:2 Minutes
    • COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables

    Ingredients

    • 1 (12-ounce) package refrigerated broccoli florets
    • 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    • 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
    • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt

    Preparation

    1. Microwave broccoli according to package directions.
    2. While broccoli cooks, combine sour cream and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently (do not boil).
    3. Arrange broccoli on a serving plate; drizzle with sauce.

    Nutritional Information

    Amount per serving
    • Calories: 60
    • Calories from fat: 43%
    • Fat: 3g
    • Saturated fat: 1.7g
    • Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
    • Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
    • Protein: 3.7g
    • Carbohydrate: 6.4g
    • Fiber: 2.5g
    • Cholesterol: 11mg
    • Iron: 0.8mg


    REVIEW:   The broccoli side dish was just okay.  Better than nothing at all but I would have been happier with just some cracked pepper and some ICBINB spray.   As for the pork chops I have to say it was pretty good!  It was super fast and easy to make.  I can see this working its way into one of my go to meals.  I didn't really taste the asiago cheese in this dish so Im not sure you even need to add it.  I did choose to keep the oil instead of using the cooking spray, but I only used half of it.  I really wanted that fried crispy crunch tonight and it did not disappoint....YUM.   I also used Whole Wheat Panko crumbs, it didn't cut any calories but Im trying to choose whole wheat options if its there.  With all the lemon you squeeze on top it ended up tasting like my grandma's schnitzel so that alone will have me making this again :)   So, thumbs up on the chops; thumbs down on the broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment